Recipes

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Almond Rocca (English Toffee)

  In a previous post, I mentioned that as a child, the women in my family would get together and make candy for each of the individual families within our larger family group. So the past few weeks I have been gathering and testing recipes that match my grandmothers, and adding some of my own favorites.
   After talking to my mother about this a few times, she told me she had a Christmas present for me. Later, when I met up with her, she handed me an old, weathered, thin, long aged box. I knew instantly what it was, and it sounds silly now, but I was SO excited! My mom decided to give me my grandmother's candy thermometer. My grandmother had given it to my mom when she decided to stop making candy. My mom didn't have much use for it, and so now it is mine. It is older than I am, and I am almost afraid to actually use it, but I love it! It may not mean much to anyone else, but it is probably the best Christmas present I will receive this year.


Almond Rocca (English Toffee w/Almonds)


What you will need:
1 Cup 100% Cane White Sugar
1/4 Cup Water
1 Tablespoon Light Corn Syrup
1/2 lb REAL butter ( 2 sticks, no substitutes)
2 Cups slivered almonds
1/2lb bar of regular Hershey's dark chocolate (7 oz.)

Directions:
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MAKE THIS ON A HUMID OR RAINY DAY.
It is also suggested that you do not double the recipe, as it tends to fail.

Evenly spread your almonds out on an ungreased cookie sheet. Try to cover as much area of the pan surface as you can, as the almonds will form a crust between the candy and your pan to help keep it from sticking.

Mix together butter, sugar, syrup and water in a large non-stick frying pan, or thick bottomed pan over medium to medium-high heat. (I used 6 out of 10 on my electric stove, and it was perfect) Stir continuously with a wooden spoon. If you have to use a metal spoon, please use one with a plastic handle, or have a hot pad that you can stir with, as the spoon will get very hot.

When your mixture comes to a rolling boil, continue to stir and keep an eye on the clock. You want to keep the mixture at a rolling boil for at least 10 minutes, but no longer than 15 minutes. The mixture will become frothy and thick, almost like melted marshmallows. When you reach the 10 minute mark, keep a very close eye on the candy, as it goes from perfect to burnt very quickly. When the mixture turns a warm amber color it is time to pour it out over your almonds. Spread it out with your spoon.While the mixture is still hot, break your chocolate into small pieces and distribute over the candy and let it melt. Spread it over the candy and let it cool at room temperature.
Do not put it in the fridge to cool, as it will cool to fast and not set up properly.  


Once it is cool, you can break it into pieces and store it in an air tight container at room temperature.


3 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I didn't think I would be able to do this, as it always seemed to difficult, but I think I can do this! Not today, it's rainy. Thanks, from Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my favorite person. I love English Toffee and I am going to be ALL over this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, It is a very easy recipe, and everywhere I look online says not to do it while it is raining. Even my grandmother told me not to make it while it was raining, However, I am never one to listen to what I am told. I made it yesterday, in the rain, and it turned out just fine. But, being the sweet grand-daughter that I am, I added my Granny's words of wisdom to the recipe. So if you feel like taking a chance and making it in the rain, Good luck!

    ReplyDelete