Recipes

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Grandma Simmons' Chocolate Cake With Chocolate Fortune Frosting

     One of the very best things about having a large family, and living close to them, is being able to visit with them on a regular basis. Yesterday was one of my nieces birthdays', so I made her some brownie cupcakes with chocolate frosting and pink sprinkles and took them to her. They were not the prettiest cupcakes on the face of the planet, but they were yummy. And we sat and talked for well over an hour. For me it brought back memories of being a child, playing with barbies, dressing our dolls, singing off tune to the "BEST SONG EVAR!!!!" usually by the Spice Girls, or some other Top 40 Hit maker. Before I left, she handed me a few of my grandmother, her great grandmother's, recipe's. This one caught my eye. I haven't tried it yet, but it is at the top of my list for the next time I get a sweet tooth, and it will most likely fill the cupcakes for the kids birthday party which is quickly approaching.
 
     For those of you who were reading quite regularly before I seemingly dropped off of the face of the planet, I'm sorry. We have had a bit of sudden family problems. My maternal grandmother was diagnosed with stage 4  lung, liver, and brain cancer. She started her chemo treatments this week, and will be having them for the next 6 months. 3 days a week for one week and then 3 weeks off. I'm still trying to process all of the information and wrap my mind around the idea of it. So that is why I have not posted, but I am back. I will be posting as often as possible again. And as always, Thank you for reading!

What you will need:
1 3/4 unsifted cake flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients except boiling water; Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Remove from mixer. Stir in boiling water. (Batter will be very thin). Pour into 2 greased and floured 9" layer pans. Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or  until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on rack, remove from mans, cool completely. Top with frosting.

Frosting:
2 squares of unsweetened chocolate, 2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar, 3 tablespoons hot water, 1 egg, 1/3 cup soft butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Melt chocolate in mixing bowl over double boiler. Remove from heat. Blend in sugar and water slowly. Beat in egg, and beat until smooth. Then add butter and vanilla.


** PLEASE NOTE ** The frosting DOES in fact have a raw egg in it, so PLEASE keep this cake cold at all times!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment